Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Bride's Story

We were never the romantic couple. We have always been the best of friends, pals,team mates (college track ), and each other's gate keepers. I guess that is why when our children came along it was very easy to not miss the date nights or romantic evenings. We had never really had them. We've always done everything as a family. As the years passed, I did notice that, the more frequently he was separated from us to fulfill his military obligations, the more I loved being a MOM. I completely threw myself into Motherhood and my career. Fast forward 19 years, two career changes,graduate school, first born off to college, Korea, GTMO and 3 tours in Iraq. I remember one night I looked at my husband and thought "Who is this guy?" I felt like I didn't even know him anymore.. We had totally lost US. I asking him one night, " So is this it for us Did GOD bring us this far for this? Can you believe my husband didn't even answer? I was so upset. I remember being emotional, excitable and he was...well, a rock, my fortress, my Gilbralter upon which I had built my house.
That summer night I had conceded to being another empty nester statistic in just a few more years.
Oh but, it gets better. After a lot of hard work and many detailed hours of "us time" fast forward: prayer, church, Date Night.
To my utter astonishment, one day en route to work, I passed my husband who is standing on the interstate with a sign that reads, "I am still hopelessly in love with my wife of 19 years. Happy Valentine's Day Sweetie. I love you!!!" Fast forward April 2009: I receive an email from him, in the subject line it says "You have to do this!" I opened it, read it and discover that he has confirmed our presence at a Marriage Vow Renewal Ceremony and a dress fitting.
I called him at work immediately and before I could say anything he said "No, God did not bring us this far to leave us. We will be together until HE comes to get us!" I just held the phone and thought "WOW! Who is this guy?!!"  

No comments:

Post a Comment