Friday, May 22, 2009

The Perspective of what it is like to be a Georgia Military Wife

The Perspective of what it is like to be a Georgia Military Wife

As I sat there in the oh so comfortable gynecologist chair with my one year old son next to me in his stroller screaming because he did not want to be confined and would prefer to be exploring the room on foot, I realized that being a military wife can be difficult at times. If I had a husband who worked in the civilian sector and did not go to the field for days or weeks or even months at a time, then when I could not find a babysitter he could step in and save the day instead of me bringing my son, or my little shadow, as I so fondly call him, along for what is already an uncomfortable event without a screaming child. Part of what it means to be a military wife and mother is that you are a part time single parent as well. Dealing with this means being able to understand what your husband’s duties are as a soldier and the willingness to pick up the slack when he is gone from time to time.

Another aspect of being a military wife is being flexible. This means that when you have a romantic evening for the two of you planned with babysitter and everything and he gets a call that someone needs him to cover staff duty last minute, that while you may be disappointed you don’t freak out and take it out on him. It also means that when you plan a vacation you purchase the travel insurance because you never know when things might change. My favorite phrase when talking about field time or deployments is “unless amended or extended.” This says it all. Things change all the time in the military. Nothing is set in stone and the sooner that military spouses understand this and accept it the sooner they will be better able to cope with the military lifestyle and the better the quality of life will be for the military families. Am I saying that everything has been 100% okay all the time since I accepted this fact? Well no, it is just that once I was able to put things into proper perspective and be more flexible things did get easier.

As for being a military wife in Georgia I would say that it is probably the same as being a military wife anywhere else except for the scorching heat in the summers and months of frizzy hair due to high humidity. There is plenty to do here at this base with Atlanta being nearby. Being stationed here is just like being stationed anywhere else, there are things I love and things that are not so great but it is all what you make of it. I heard this saying that home is where the Army sends you. All you can do is make the best of it.

So is being a military wife all hard work and no play? Of course, not. We have husbands who do a job that is truly respectable and worthy of admiration. Don’t let my husband read this or it will go straight to his head, but I am so proud of what he does. (Only kidding my husband knows I am proud.) Also one of the perks of having a husband who does a dangerous job is that he and I are very appreciative of our time together. When we do have time together we try to make it quality family time and try not to take any of it for granted.

My husband and I had a conversation before we got married about how I would deal with military life. I told him that I would rather have him for whatever amount of time that I could get as opposed to living every day with anyone else. So yes, at times being a military wife is hard. We make many sacrifices in our families so that our husbands can defend our country. All in all I would not change.
-C. Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment